Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Post-Easter Bounty, Take 1

Jolly Rancher Jelly Beans


      I don't go through bags of jelly beans at the same rate I did back in the days that I managed to get the munchies on a regular basis, but I've finally finished the first bag of goodies, 14 ounces of Jolly Rancher Jelly Beans. You know what? they could've been better...

The tale of the tape:

Jolly Rancher's version of beans is based on the limited flavors available in their hard candies, meaning that there are only six flavors. Licorice lovers will note that the dark ones are actually deep purple, corresponding to a grape flavor. There are two versions or red - strawberry and watermelon - plus a blue (raspberry), an orange and a green (green apple). All have consistent color throughout: the raspberry version has blue jelly as well as a blue shell, for instance. 



Jolly Rancher Jelly Beans
The flavors are distinct and sharply different, unlike the cheap bags you find in the dollar stores. All of them are slightly on the sour side, especially the green apple. That may be what the children of the '90s want, but I'm a sweet bean fan, myself. Still, I find the flavors clear and strong.

I bought my bag at an after-Easter half-price sale at my local Meijer store. I was disappointed that many of the morsels turned out to be stale and hard, even though the sell-by date was still six months away (Hershey, if you read this, the lot number was 69GCDK1290).

If you like your jelly beans somewhat tart, this is a good candidate. I downrated them to three stars, though, because the flavor selection is limited and I wasn't impressed by quality control. Get with the program, Jolly Rancher!

copyright © 2016-2017 scmrak

No comments:

Post a Comment