Monday, April 18, 2016

Post Easter Bounty, Take 2

Starburst Fave Reds Jelly Beans


Yes, jelly beans were indeed half price the day after Easter – as promised! – and so I made my way to a couple of stores to get variation in my beans. After all, you can’t spend your entire life eating Jelly Bellys (well, I could, but…). The first bag I tried came from the people at Jolly Rancher (a division of Hershey), and I was a bit disappointed. Truth be told, I’ve never been a huge fan of Jolly Rancher’s beans, which is why I only got one bag. I also picked up a special bag called Starburst Fave Red Jelly Beans.


Starburst Fave Reds Jelly Beans

Like most self-respecting jelly beans in the days since Ronald Reagan made JB a household candy, Starburst’s entry in the bean wars are miniature-sized. This particular package contains just three flavors: watermelon, strawberry and cherry. Oddly, there are only two colors: the watermelon and strawberry are both the same lighter red, while the cherry-flavored variety is pretty close in shade to a ripe bing cherry. Some, though not all, have the company name printed on the shell in white – several only said “star” or “burst,” and the beans were not of uniform size and shape.

     The Starburst website suggests that a current version of the Fave Reds also includes a fourth flavor, fruit punch. That’s as opposed to their ordinary bags and the “CrazyBeans” the company says are “dual-flavored.”

The beans all have a medium-soft candy shell and a gummy, yellowish-white core; giving them a fairly soft texture overall. I could distinguish no difference between the dark shell and the light when it comes to the filling. All three flavors are slightly tart, in keeping with the fake “sour” flavor overtones so popular in the last couple of decades. Even though the watermelon and strawberry beans look alike, their flavors are distinct. Why everyone insists on pushing the watermelon flavor, by the way, somehow escapes this particular candyfan.

If you like your jelly beans somewhat tart, Starbursts are always a good choice. I would, however, rather they cut back on the sour note. On the whole, I find the Fave Red collection a little gimmicky, particularly since watermelon isn’t one of my “faves.” Still, much better than the dollar bags you find at C stores and truck stops: four stars.
copyright © 2016-2017 scmrak

No comments:

Post a Comment