Saturday, September 9, 2017

Organic but not Orgasmic: Surf Sweets Jelly Beans

Surf Sweets Organic Jelly Beans


One of the kids had a tasty beer (Lagunitas Doppel Hefewiezen) he said he’d picked up at the local Whole Foods Market. Given their recent claim that they’d lowered prices and experience with their reasonably well-stocked beer department, I stopped by a few days later. I didn’t get that beer; though I did find a couple of others from the brewery and – the point of this entry – picked up some Surf Sweets Organic Jelly Beans.


Surf Sweets Organic Jelly Beans

Now I’m a reasonably healthy eater, being a Jelly Bean Fiend notwithstanding, but I don’t go so far as to be vegan or strictly organic. Nonetheless, these were about the only beans I found – at a price of $2.19 for a 2.75-ounce bag (that works out to $12.75 a pound) – so I bought ‘em on a whim. Here’s the “tale of the tape,” so to speak.

The Surf Sweets brand hits every mark in the book of “I only feed my kids the best”: organic; no artificial colors or sweeteners; no HFCS; gluten-free; never within 100 feet of peanuts or tree nuts; dairy-, wheat-, soy-, egg-, casein-, sulfite-, and shellfish-free; and vegetarian (though not vegan). They’re flavored with natural organic juices in the usual five flavors – cherry, grape, lemon, strawberry, orange – and grapefruit.
    

Great for kids… though not so great for jelly bean fiends like me who don’t care much about all the -freedom. Texturally, the beans have a crunchy shell – overly crunchy, almost like crystalline sugar, perhaps – around a color-matched gummy gel in the center. The gel flavor matches the shell, as is standard in gourmet-style beans. He flavors are recognizable, except the differentiation between strawberry and cherry, which is common for sugary treats. I found the grape to have a cloying, winey taste; and the grapefruit to be rather weird-tasting.

     While I applaud mothers and others who want “healthy” treats (if you consider 29g of sugar per 40-gram serving “healthy”) for their kids, I don’t think Surf Sweets did a particularly good job with this one... so just three stars. By the way, I’m still trying to figure out what the “97% organic” footnote on the ingredient list refers to
copyright © 2017-2022 scmrak

No comments:

Post a Comment