Friday, April 28, 2017

Swedish Fish Jelly Beans: Tasty but Monotonous

Swedish Fish Jelly Beans


The day after Easter I did what I almost always do: I hit every store I could find in hopes of picking up some jelly bean brands I hadn’t already gobbled… errr, reviewed here. This time out I had a little luck: at my local Meijer, I ran across a bag of Swedish Fish Jelly Beans. No kidding, the company that sells Swedish Fish – Mondeléz International of New Jersey? is that in Sweden? – makes little red beans, in Mexico, natch, and sells them under the Swedish Fish banner. Not one to pass up a new brand, I dug in…


I had some disappointment right off the bat: first, the beans are all “gourmet-sized,” as if they were intended to compete with Jelly Belly beans. Second, they’re all red – cherry, I guess, or whatever flavor the original Swedish Fish gummies are. Even though, according to their website, the original fish are available in an assortment, that’s not the case here. Third, like the Life Savers beans I had a couple of weeks ago, they’re oddly misshapen and rarely have the classic kidney-bean shape. I wonder if they’re made in the same Mexican factory as the Life Savers…

As for the beans themselves, the (always) red shell is fairly soft and strongly cherry-flavored. It surrounds a somewhat mushy central gel that’s off-white and flavored mainly by sugar. It takes quite a bit of effort to separate the shell from the center, if that’s your bag, and once that shell is gone the filling tastes pretty much like chewing gum that’s past its prime.     

     I’m kind of underwhelmed by the bag, but perhaps it’s because I ate the whole bag by myself instead of sharing them – fortunately, I took a couple of weeks and I had open bags of other brands going at the same time. I would not, however, buy them again unless Monteléz decides to fill them with an assortment of flavors: all cherry, no matter how much I may like it, gets boring pretty quickly. 
copyright © 2017 scmrak

No comments:

Post a Comment