Thursday, April 6, 2017

The Taste of SweeTarts Without the Tart

Wonka Laffy Taffy Jelly Beans


Every year around Easter the shelves of my local stores start loading up with different varieties of jelly beans. Besides the usual gourmet stuff (JellyBelly, Gimble’s) and the peg bags that I buy in an emergency, I start seeing other names on the bags; especially names of other familiar candies. Last year it was Jolly Rancher and Starburst, this year for the first time I found “Laffy Taffy flavored Jelly Beans.” So I bought a bag…

Laffy Taffy Jelly Beans

     The classic candy Laffy Taffy comes from Wonka; the same people who give you SweeTarts. The company’s actually a division of Nestle®. This brand of beans’ relationship to SweeTarts came as no surprise to me once I’d tasted a few…

Laffy Taffy jelly beans come in just four flavors (banana, grape, cherry and apple); in pale pastel colors that correspond to their flavors (yellow, lavender, pink, and green). Texturally, the candy shell bears a striking resemblance to the texture of the company’s SweeTarts, and – except for grape, which to my knowledge is unknown in SweeTarts – pretty much has the same flavor. The chief difference is that the beans aren’t as tart.

The flavor is all in the shell, which surrounds a mushy off-white sugary gel – the gel is merely a neutral sweet flavor. The shell is crumbly and a little grainy. As for any resemblance to Laffy Taffy flavors, I can’t comment – I haven’t eaten the stuff in decades.

When it comes to jelly beans, I find the texture of this batch lacking. The gel center is too soft and mushy, the candy shell too crumbly. The flavors are slightly better, though limiting them to just four makes a 14-ounce bag rather cloying (for the record, I paid $2.50 for this bag). At least they don’t include licorice…
    

All told, this is not a brand I’ll seek out next year.
copyright © 2017 scmrak

No comments:

Post a Comment