Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Mike and Ike Shrink their Candy to Jelly Beans: Yummmm...

Mike and Ike Jelly Beans - Assorted Fruits


Over more years than I care to admit of my jelly bean addiction, I’ve realized that – like many things in this world – the beans come in three different categories. At the bottom of the pile are the cheap-o varieties, like the bulk beans shipped from Mexico and packaged under several different store brand names (e.g., WalMart’s Great Value beans;or the peg candy sold with the Sather label). At the top of the pile are, of course, gourmet brands like Jelly Belly and Gimbel’s – I hope to find other varieties some day.
Then there’s the third category, the ones in the middle. Some claim to be “gourmet” but aren’t, but most of the rest bear names you recognize from somewhere else in the candy aisle, like Starburst or Welch’s. To the middle of the pile, I now add Mike & Ike Jelly Beans: yes, the theater candy people (a division of Just Born Candies) also make a shorter version of their jelly-filled candies. They make more than one variety, in fact – but today, I’m just looking at their assorted fruits.
    

Like most fruity bean varieties, this bag contains no licorice (fine with me) and comes in the typical seven flavors (cherry, lemon, lime, strawberry, pineapple, orange and grape) in the classic colors. Like other beans at this level, the flavoring is entirely in the candy shell – the gel-filled interior is pure sugary goodness, but a neutral flavor. I found the candy coating to have recognizable, slightly tart flavors and reliable tastiness; while the centers were nicely chewy, without a noticeable aftertaste. Note that there is no HFCS in the ingredients, though there are artificial colors and flavors.

I paid about $2.50 for a 14-ounce bag at my local BigBox hardware store (Menard’s – they sell almost everything), which works out to about $2.86 per pound – rather inexpensive for beans in the middle tier. Mike & Ike compare favorably to their competition, which includes Starburst, Jolly Rancher, Welch’s, and Brach’s “wunder beans”; while coming in at a slightly better price. According to the Mike & Ike website,  the brand also sells a “tangy” version (watch this space for a review later); while the parent company sells a couple of varieties of Just Born jelly beans (including spice and all licorice) plus their entry in the gourmet category, Teenee Beanees, which come in several varieties (I can't wait).
    

When push comes to shove, the brand’s pretty good – especially for the price I paid. I’m giving them four stars.
copyright © 2017 scmrak

2 comments:

  1. These are the best!! I'm sad that it is getting harder to find them. Target use to carry them every Easter for years but sadly, no longer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, yummy indeed. They're still out there, too: I saw the brand for sale at my local Meijer (MidWest grocery/department store chain) last week. Good luck on finding them again!

    ReplyDelete